Tuesday 23 September 2014

The Dead Lands


I will fill your daughters uterus' with dirt and that will be your legacy. 
I heard that at 11 o'clock this morning, the South Bank is getting rough.

The Dead Lands tells the story of a pre colonial Maori tribe being wiped out and the chiefs boy seeking revenge. When I first read the blurb about this film I did think we were just going to be given another Apocalypto, I was wrong. What we get is a very basic story about honour and respect for your family and that good deeds can exonerate you from previous nastiness. The film unfortunately got a little lost in what it wanted to be, the fast cuts and slightly techno soundtrack made the audience think we were watching an action film, but the slow conversations about being honourable pushed us towards a drama. The acting and direction were very good though, also I believe it was an honourable representation of the Maori’s history. In the end, you have a positive start and finish that looks stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment